Assertiveness – What are Passive, Aggressive & Assertive?
Assertiveness at work is important, but do you know what passive, aggressive, assertive all mean? What are the behaviors that are characteristic of each of them, and what do they signify?
Let’s look at Passive, Aggressive, Passive-Aggressive, and Assertive behavior, because understanding them all is an essential business and professional skill.
Watching this Video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 1.5.2
Program 1: Managing Yourself
Course 5: Personal Impact
Section 2: Assertiveness
Primary videos that preceed this video include:
– Our videos on First Impression. Start with First Impression – Appearance https://youtu.be/wQKttXHMVps
Primary videos that follow this video include:
– Assertiveness – Recognize Passive, Aggressive, & Assertive Behaviors https://youtu.be/wq16lBNx_L0
– Assertiveness – What to Say to be Assertive https://youtu.be/xrRVayJW-BA
The four behaviors are:
– Passive: focusing on not getting hurt
– Aggressive – focusing on beating the other person
– Passive-Aggressive – focusing on making others feel bad while avoiding responsibility
– Assertive – focusing on getting the right result
1. Reflect on these behaviors in yourself. Which styles do you use inappropriately? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Start to notice when you are straying into passive, aggressive, or passive-aggressive behaviors. What are the triggers? (2 MC CPD Points)
3. On the next three occasions when you notice the triggers for your unhelpful behaviors, start to pull yourself back to remain assertive. (3×2 MC CPD Points)
– Assertiveness at Work https://geni.us/epp1
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 12 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon