Chairing Meetings – Planning Your Meeting
The first step in chairing a meeting is planning your meeting. You need to determine what your meeting will be about, what you want to achieve and how you’ll achieve it, and the logistics.
So, before you start planning your next meeting, review this video and see all the things you’ll need to consider.
Watching this Video is worth 3 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 2.3.2
Program 2: The Manager as Communicator
Course 3: Meetings
Section 2: Chairing Meetings
Primary videos that precede this video include:
This is the first video in the Chairing Meetings section
Primary videos that follow this video include:
– Meetings as Conversations https://youtu.be/42kngpo0MPE
– Meeting Discipline https://youtu.be/NWLKP4Lk3BA
– Hosting the Meeting https://youtu.be/MyyoRz4fKP8
– Housekeeping https://youtu.be/U3PfBOBeqBY
Start planning your meeting with three questions
1. What is the meeting about?
2. What do you need to achieve?
3. How will you achieve it?
Then, build an agenda. The best format is an ‘Agenda for Results’
Finally, think through and prepare all of the elements of your meeting’s logistics.
1. Next time you plan a meeting, deliberately address all the points from this lesson (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Either download and adapt our Agenda for Results template (https://gum.co/A4R), or create your own. Use this for your next meeting (2 MC CPD Points)
3. Review the outcome of your next meeting and consider the impact your planning and preparation had on how well it went. What did you earn, that you can apply to future meetings? (2 MC CPD Points)
– CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
– Agenda for Results – https://gum.co/A4R
– Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
– Running Meetings (HBR) https://geni.us/uTtzzH
– Meetings Suck https://geni.us/PnqAf
– Bad Meetings Happen to Good People https://geni.us/ehWHWW
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 3 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 9 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon