Credibility: Gain Gravitas through Knowledge and Experience
One of the four parameters in the Trust Equation (see our earlier video: https://youtu.be/ikVmmhONXig) is Credibility. If people don’t see you as credible, they won’t trust you.
So, how can you acquire credibility. The title of this video gives you your first clue: knowledge and experience. But there’s more to it than those two words and that’s what we’ll explore in this module. If you’ve not seen our video on the Trust Equation (https://youtu.be/ikVmmhONXig), do take a look at it.
Watching this video is worth 3 Management Courses CPD Point*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 1.5.6
Program 1: Managing Yourself
Course 5: Personal Impact
Section 6: Gravitas
Primary videos that precede this video include:
– Presence, Charisma, Gravitas: What’s the Difference? https://youtu.be/J2-3LpacQhM
– The Trust Equation – Gravitas needs Trust https://youtu.be/ikVmmhONXig
The Next video to watch is:
– The Presence of Gravitas: How Deliberate Pacing makes People Take Note https://youtu.be/9maBWUa8j5c
– Speaking with the Voice of Authority: How it Builds Gravitas https://youtu.be/EefSdq4P3qo
Gravitas and authority come from true expertise. And that comes from experience and learning. The three key components are:
1. Depth – deep knowledge and understanding
2. Breadth – experience across a range of domains and disciplines
3. Good self-knowledge – knowing and understanding your strengths and weaknesses, and sticking to the things you know
This video also introduces the valuable concept of T-shaped People – with depth and breadth.
Finally, we learn about the role of process in coming across with authority.
Continue your Personal Confidence Log from the last videos:
Take the time to reflect and make an honest assessment of yourself:
1. What are the areas in which you have a real depth of knowledge (1 MC CPD Point)
2. For each of those areas, assess the true depth of your knowledge, from ‘a good basic knowledge’ to ‘world-class expertise’. Score yourself out of 10 on each. (1 MC CPD Point)
3. Which of these areas – and which other areas – do you want or need to develop your expertise further? (1 MC CPD Point)
4. What additional domains of knowledge and functional skills do you have to lend yourself breadth? (1 MC CPD Point)
5. What new areas do you need to gain knowledge and experience, to further broaden your skillset and understanding? (1 MC CPD Point)
6. Build a learning plan for the coming year to get you to a realistic (note the word realistic) goal for increasing your credibility, with respect to each of depth and breadth. (2 MC CPD Points)
– CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
– Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
– The Trusted Advisor – https://geni.us/4PmvoF
– The Personal MBA – https://geni.us/sgJ57vn
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 3 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 10 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon