Developing People in Your Remote Team
As a team leader, you have a responsibility to help your team members develop their skills and build their careers – even in a remote team, when you cannot be with them.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 4.3.5
Program 4: Managing & Leading Groups
Course 3: Teams
Section 5: Managing Remote Teams
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 Introduction to Managing Remote Teams
🎬 Creating Trust in Remote Teams
🎬 Helping Build Understanding in Your Remote Team
🎬 Crafting Connection and Building Culture in Your Remote Team
🎬 Fostering Responsibility within Your Remote Team
🎬 Maintaining Productivity in Your Remote Team
🎬 Getting Sufficient Challenge in Your Remote Team
🎬 Taking Care of the Wellbeing of People in Your Remote Team
the key is to adapt as much as possible from the more familiar, co-located environment. Quite simply: be available. Treat people who are distant as if they are local.
This means making it a priority for yourself.
The biggest lesson of leading and managing remote teams is that you need to allocate a larger proportion of your time to your team.
Four Development Priorities
My top development priorities are:
1. Allocating work that stretches people beyond their experience, either in depth, complexity, or in new directions.
2. Periodic reviews and good quality feedback
3. Coaching and Mentoring
4. Being prepared to tackle tough issues with integrity. Be open and honest, but do so in a way that is respectful of each individual’s cultural expectations.
1. How well are you doing at developing your remote team and the individuals within your team? Be brutally honest with yourself. (2 MC CPD Points)
2. What are your first, second, and third priorities for improving your work in developing of your team and people? (3 MC CPD Points)
3. Create a plan for the next three months (3 MC CPD Points)
4. Carry out your plan, and monitor your progress at 1, 2, and 3 months, making adjustments as you go, if you need to (6 MC CPD Points)
– CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
– Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
– The Five Dysfunctions of a Team https://geni.us/wbIE
– The Wisdom of Teams https://geni.us/7i1AL
– The Belbin Guide to Succeeding at Work https://geni.us/Kzc4GV4
– Dream Teams: Working Together Without Falling Apart https://geni.us/oAgEOdA
– Pulling Together: 10 Rules for High-Performance Teamwork https://geni.us/zUVV3G
– HBR’s 10 Must Reads on Teams https://geni.us/0DLsNe4
Managers need a basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 15 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#RemoteTeam #ManagementCourses #DevelopingPeople