Elton Mayo and the Hawthorne Experiment: Process of Model of Motivation
The Hawthorne Experiment – conducted by Elton Mayo – is one of the classic experiments that led to an important part of our understanding of motivation. It leads to a simple, yet fundamental, process model of how motivation works in the workplace.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 3.7.2
Program 3: Managing and Leading Individuals
Course 7: Motivation
Section 2: Process Models of Motivation
Primary videos that follow this video include:
Process Models of Motivation
– Elton Mayo and the Hawthorne Experiment https://youtu.be/jRMO43s5NGY
– Victor Vroom and Expectancy Theory https://youtu.be/WDgF7Avijlc
– John Stacy Adams and Equity Theory https://youtu.be/ksnCw96vg7M
– Douglas McGregor and Theory X & Theory Y https://youtu.be/fS5iqEf1Azs
Frederick Taylor had championed a revolution in management and some shocking ideas about motivation, leading him to found to the powerful ideas of Scientific Management.
Elton Mayo was a follower of Taylor. But, in a series of experiments at the Western Electric Company’s Hawthorne plant in Chicago, Mayo found that workers are more motivated by emotional and social factors than by economic factors. This finding, and other, led over time to the foundation of a countervailing approach to Scientific Management: Humanistic Management.
1. As a manager, you can affect the conditions people work under and the incentives you offer them. These are the principles of scientific management. You can also decide how you engage with your people and the extent to which you show concern for them. This is a part of humanistic management. Examine your experiences as:
– a worker
– a manager
Reflect on what your own experiences tell you about the effectiveness of the two approaches to management. Make notes in your journal, notebook, or workbook. (3 MC CPD Points)
For a solid introduction to motivation:
– HBR Guide to Motivating People https://geni.us/sO2IKgn
The best of modern thinking on motivation, in accessible business books. These are all modern classics:
– Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us https://geni.us/uq3EBO
– Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action https://geni.us/vjErAN
– Lead, Motivate, Engage: How to INSPIRE Your Team to Win at Work https://geni.us/ABkZEx
– Multipliers, Revised and Updated: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smart https://geni.us/E39I
– Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations https://geni.us/uMaP
– The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work https://geni.us/tiEkeH
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 4 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon