Getting Past No – Masters of Negotiation
The follow-up to the classic ‘Getting to Yes’ is the equally valuable ‘Getting Past No: Negotiating in Difficult Situations’ by William Ury. Let’s summarize its ideas.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 5.2.4
Program 5: Managerial Skillset
Course 2: Negotiation
Section 4: Masters of Negotiation
Other videos about Masters of Negotiation include:
– Getting to Yes
– Getting Past No
– Never Split the Difference
– Bargaining for Advantage
– Handling Negotiation
Module 5.2.1 covers the Fundamental Model of Negotiation.
Start with the Fundamental Model of Negotiation – https://youtu.be/PKz4pDm1e90
Module 5.2.2 covers Key Concepts in Negotiation
Start with Core Principles of Negotiation – https://youtu.be/FiEneNag8cI
Module 5.2.3 covers Tools for Negotiators
Start with How to Ask Questions – https://youtu.be/uy2fS0MhmAQ
People can see negotiation as a duel or a stand-off. But it should not be adversarial.
1. Negotiations should be collaborative, not confrontational.
– It’s not a zero-sum game
– Needs creativity, joint problem solving, and compromise
2. Preparation is essential in effective negotiation.
The key points to prepare:
– interests of both parties
– potential options to satisfy those interests
– fair standards to assess those options
– alternatives if the negotiation doesn’t work out
3. Heated emotion can thwart a negotiation. Avoid:
– Striking back
– Backing down
– Walking away
Instead: emotional detachment – don’t take the bait
4. Good negotiators never argue.
– Agree (where you can)
5. Changing the subject, or looking at it from a different point of view, is an effective negotiation tactic.
– Shift back to their interests
– Ask follow-up questions
– Ask them for advice
6. Indulge resistance – don’t try to overcome it
7. Wield power with great caution.
8. Know your next-best option (BATNA)
…and the other side’s
Getting Past No by William Ury: https://geni.us/VQAd7
1. Use this as the start for building yourself a checklist of reminders for how to be effective in future negotiations. If necessary, go over other videos to help you build up your checklist. (4 MC CPD Points)
Negotiate Wisely in Business and Technology (A basic introduction) https://geni.us/a2n1T6Y
Everything is Negotiable) (A basic introduction) https://geni.us/Ozwwr
Getting to Yes (the classic text) https://geni.us/U3CjduK
Getting Past No (the follow-up to Getting to Yes) https://geni.us/VQAd7
Bargaining for Advantage (another classic) https://geni.us/anBn
Negotiation Genius (Modern look at the negotiation mindset) https://geni.us/cBKKn3x
Never Split the Difference (red hot tips from ex-hostage negotiator) https://geni.us/YBSogJ
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 5 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#MastersOfNegotiation #ManagementCourses #GettingPastNo