How to Do a Performance Turnaround – 6-step process [Feedback Challenges]
If you have a poor-performing member of your team, how do you turn around their poor performance? I’ll give you a 6-step process to performance turnaround process.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Points.
🔎 See below for details
This video is part of course module number 3.8.5
Program 3: Managing & Leading Individuals
Course 8: Feedback
Section 5: Feedback Challenges
Step 1: Gather Evidence
Make observations and review the evidence you gather.
Identify the themes that it highlights (good and bad). For each theme, document the evidence for good, adequate, bad performance. Use a proforma like this to assemble your evidence…
Step 2: Prioritize
Don’t overload the feedback and Performance turnaround process by trying to tackle every single shortcoming. Determine which aspects are most important. Use this to structure your feedback process.
Step 3: Give Feedback
Focus on the facts.
Step 4: Listen to Response
Let the other person respond, and listen to their perceptions
Step 5: Encourage Ideas
Move the discussion to a focus on the future.
• Get as many ideas as possible
• Help them evaluate the ideas
• Experimentation is good
• Give permission to make mistakes
• Agree steps that are:
– Small enough to limit the risks
– Big enough to make an impact and to learn from
Step 6: Follow Up
Keep the cycle going.
1. If you need to carry out a performance turnaround, use the framework in the video to plan it (2 MC CPD Points)
2. After you have carried out your performance turnaround, review how it went, and modify your process using what you have learned (2 MC CPD Points)
📖 Feedback (and Other Dirty Words): Why We Fear It, How to Fix It https://geni.us/Pg4gk
📖 Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well https://geni.us/OtdDnSy
📖 HBR Guide to Delivering Effective Feedback https://geni.us/h0cN
📖 Feedback Pocketbook https://geni.us/D8Ar
📖 Feedback Toolkit: 16 Tools for Better Communication in the Workplace https://geni.us/x8TGT4
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 5 MC CPD points
#ManagementCourses #Feedback #PerformanceTurnaround