How to Handle Deadlock – Negotiation Tools
One inevitable consequence of negotiation is deadlock. I hope it won’t happen too often. But happen it will.
So, you need to be prepared to handle deadlock and find a way forward. here are three strategies.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 5.2.3
Program 5: Managerial Skillset
Course 2: Negotiation
Section 3: Tools for Negotiators
Other videos about Tools for Negotiators include:
– How to Ask Questions
– Listening Skills
– Empathic Negotiation
– Influencing and Persuading
– Force Field and PMI Analysis
– MOSCOW Analysis
– How to Handle a Breakdown
Module 5.2.1 covers the Fundamental Model of Negotiation.
Start with the introductory video: Fundamental Model of Negotiation – https://youtu.be/PKz4pDm1e90
Module 5.2.2 covers Key Concepts in Negotiation
Start with Core Principles: of Negotiation https://youtu.be/FiEneNag8cI
Three ways to ‘Escape the Field’ and deal with deadlock.
1. Ask: ‘What if?’
It’s like the two positions occupy areas on a field maybe even regions on a line. You need to escape into the third dimension to bring new considerations into the negotiation that may unlock the deadlock.
Call for a time-out.
3. Walk Away
1. Calm yourself
2. Consider carefully
3. Prepare simple, factual statement (that can express your feelings)
4. Label your next step – face-to-face, courteous, clear and firm
5. Leave the door open for resumption
6. Go – don’t hesitate, don’t look back
1. Have you ever been in a negotiation that experienced deadlock? If you have, what did it feel like? How did the parties respond? And, crucially, what steps led to the resolution and allowed one party or the other to handle deadlock to the benefit of both? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Prepare yourself for the possibility of a future deadlock in your negotiations. Keep notes of these three strategies to escape the field and unlock the negotiation on your personal devices. Include notes from what you learned in exercise 1. (2 MC CPD Points)
– CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
– Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
Negotiate Wisely in Business and Technology (A basic introduction) https://geni.us/a2n1T6Y
Everything is Negotiable) (A basic introduction) https://geni.us/Ozwwr
Getting to Yes (the classic text) https://geni.us/U3CjduK
Getting Past No (the follow-up to Getting to Yes) https://geni.us/VQAd7
Bargaining for Advantage (another classic) https://geni.us/anBn
Negotiation Genius (Modern look at the negotiation mindset) https://geni.us/cBKKn3x
Never Split the Difference (red hot tips from ex-hostage negotiator) https://geni.us/YBSogJ
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 6 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Negotiation #ManagementCourses #Deadlock