How to Plan Your Feedback: 10 Question Process
If you want your feedback to go well, then plan it. Here are ten questions to plan your feedback.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
🔎 See below for details
This video is part of course module number 3.8.2
Program 3: Managing & Leading Individuals
Course 8: Feedback
Section 2: How to Give Feedback
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 When and Where to Give Feedback https://youtu.be/FKPVJC6-Two
🎬 How to Give Formal Performance Feedback: The Process https://youtu.be/H2VY3NIZL80
🎬 Why You Should Never Use the Feedback Sandwich https://youtu.be/lADS1zf1osI
🎬 What is the Starfish Model for Giving Feedback? https://youtu.be/IzC5jeyXWkA
🎬 My Top Tips for Giving Great Performance Feedback https://youtu.be/_O9Ir2Ojavc
Questions to ask yourself:
• What are the observations you want to feed back?
• What are the opportunities for specific performance improvements?
• What are the consequences of making / not making these improvements?
• What supporting evidence can you cite?
• What does this mean to you?
• What are some appropriate actions you would expect to discuss?
• What follow-up will be appropriate?
When will you make the time to give this feedback?
10 Questions to answer to plan your meeting:
Here are the 10 questions you should ask and answer:
1. What is the purpose of the meeting?
2. …And what would constitute a successful meeting?
3. What type of feedback will you give?
4. …And how will you give your feedback?
5. Where will you hold it?
6. …And what room layout is best? (Ref video about meeting arrangements)
7. When will you hold it?
8. …And how much time will you allow? (see below)
9. How will you structure the meeting?
10. …And what follow-up will you need?
You will need time to:
⁃ spell out your observations
⁃ Listen to other person’s perspective
⁃ ask as many questions as you need and let them ask as many questions as they want to
⁃ help them to decide on specific actions
⁃ Summarize the conversation
1. For your next formal feedback session, work your way through these questions and think about the answer to each (5 MC CPD Points)
🧰 CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
🧳 Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
📖 Feedback (and Other Dirty Words): Why We Fear It, How to Fix It https://geni.us/Pg4gk
📖 Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well https://geni.us/OtdDnSy
📖 HBR Guide to Delivering Effective Feedback https://geni.us/h0cN
📖 Feedback Pocketbook https://geni.us/D8Ar
📖 Feedback Toolkit: 16 Tools for Better Communication in the Workplace https://geni.us/x8TGT4
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 6 MC CPD points
#ManagementCourses #Feedback #10StepProcess