Introduction to Motivation: Key Questions Answered
As a manager, if you want to get people to do things, you can either compel them, or motivate them. So, in the modern workplace, motivation is an essential skill-set for managers. In this video, I kick off our program of motivation videos with an introduction to motivation.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 3.7.1
Program 3: Managing and Leading Individuals
Course 7: Motivation
Section 1: The Basics of Motivation
Primary videos that precede this video include:
This Introduction to Motivation is the first video in the Motivation course
Primary videos that follow this video include:
– The Fundamentals of Motivation https://youtu.be/IVjnAZ-8-dY
– Basics of Motivation: Incentives – do they work? https://youtu.be/ypHn-syiwZE
– The Psychology of Motivation: Understand the Basics https://youtu.be/rIOTk5mlpyo
– Basics of Motivation: Building Morale in your Team https://youtu.be/LmRx7R2aQr8
Motivation boost performance, productivity, and effectiveness. It is everyone’s responsibility but, more than anyone else, responsibility for motivation lies with the manager or team leader.
Motives are needs that we are driven to fulfill. Motivation directs behavioral choices to help us meet those needs. The things that motivate us arise from who we are, our history, and the situation we are in.
1. Notice your own behavioral choices. When you are faced with different options, what influences you to make the choices you do make? Reflect on your experiences over the next week or so, and make notes in your journal, notebook, or workbook. (3 MC CPD Points)
For a solid introduction to motivation:
– HBR Guide to Motivating People https://geni.us/sO2IKgn
The best of modern thinking on motivation, in accessible business books. These are all modern classics:
– Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us https://geni.us/uq3EBO
– Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action https://geni.us/vjErAN
– Lead, Motivate, Engage: How to INSPIRE Your Team to Win at Work https://geni.us/ABkZEx
– Multipliers, Revised and Updated: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smart https://geni.us/E39I
– Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations https://geni.us/uMaP
– The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work https://geni.us/tiEkeH
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 4 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon