John Stacy Adams and Equity Theory: Process of Model of Motivation
John Stacy Adams built a simple yet exceptionally powerful motivation model around a simple fact: human beings are motivated by fairness. He called this model Equity Theory, and that’s what I’ll take you through in this video.
Watching this video is worth 4 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 3.7.2
Program 3: Managing and Leading Individuals
Course 7: Motivation
Section 2: Process Models of Motivation
Primary videos that precede this video include:
Introduction to Motivation https://youtu.be/hbPGqPLv2s4
The Fundamentals of Motivation https://youtu.be/IVjnAZ-8-dY
Primary videos that follow this video include:
Process Models of Motivation
– Elton Mayo and the Hawthorne Experiment https://youtu.be/jRMO43s5NGY
– Victor Vroom and Expectancy Theory https://youtu.be/WDgF7Avijlc
– John Stacy Adams and Equity Theory https://youtu.be/ksnCw96vg7M
– Douglas McGregor and Theory X & Theory Y https://youtu.be/fS5iqEf1Azs
We expect a fair return for the effort we put in.
And we also expect that the return we get is comparable to that of other people doing the same work.
So, if we don’t get that equity; if we feel our position is inequitable, we become demotivated. That’s the core of John Stacy Adams’s Equity Theory. But the implications for managers are profound.
1. Have you ever felt demotivated by an unfairness that you perceived? Reflect on what your own experiences tell you about equity theory. Make notes in your journal, notebook, or workbook. (3 MC CPD Points)
– CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
– Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
For a solid introduction to motivation:
– HBR Guide to Motivating People https://geni.us/sO2IKgn
The best of modern thinking on motivation, in accessible business books. These are all modern classics:
– Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us https://geni.us/uq3EBO
– Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action https://geni.us/vjErAN
– Lead, Motivate, Engage: How to INSPIRE Your Team to Win at Work https://geni.us/ABkZEx
– Multipliers, Revised and Updated: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smart https://geni.us/E39I
– Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations https://geni.us/uMaP
– The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work https://geni.us/tiEkeH
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 4 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 7 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon