Morgan’s 8 Organizational Metaphors: An Organization is Like a…
Sometimes the best way to understand something complicated and abstract is with a metaphor. Gareth Morgan suggested we can gain some good insights into the nature of organizations from 8 organizational metaphors.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
The Nature of Organizations
This video is part of course module number 6.1.1
Program 6: Managing within Organizations
Course 1: The Nature of Organizations
Section 1: Introduction to Organizations
Other videos in this section include:
– What is an Organization? https://youtu.be/bfqubYe8YNA
– Organizations as Structures: Understanding an Organization as a Structure https://youtu.be/LLnoTLkapjo
– Organizations as Processes: Understanding an Organization as a Set of Processes https://youtu.be/i51iHWLB3hE
– The Features of Organizations: What an Organization Needs https://youtu.be/vVwryqV92KE
– Why do we need Organizations? Structure vs Agility https://youtu.be/o9u0i0wOog4
None of these 8 organizational metaphors is sufficient in itself to fully understand organizations. They each give complementary perspectives:
A mechanistic view of organizations that stresses process and efficiency. Possibly at the cost of poor human relations and lower agility.
Living systems adapt to their environments. But if they fail to adapt, they fail to thrive.
Rationality, learning and creativity. Stress the role of organizations as information processors.
Sees organizations as a collection of values, beliefs, traditions, and rituals that provide distinctness.
5. Political Systems
A view that stresses the roles of interests, agendas, influence, alliances and, of course, power.
6. Psychic Prisons
Perceiving organizations as systems that repress and restrain members, due to conscious and unconscious pressures.
7. Flux and Transformation
Organizations are a platform for changes that can be adaptive or chaotic.
8. Instruments of Domination
Organizations are a means to overcome and dominate competitors – socially, economically, or politically.
Think about organizations where you have worked, or that you have encountered and know quite well.
1. For each one, which of the eight organizational metaphors works well? (4 MC CPD Points)
2. Can you find an example of an organization you know or have heard about, which fits with each of the eight organizational metaphors? (4 MC CPD Points)
– Understanding Organizations https://geni.us/oB774Do
– Images of Organization https://geni.us/hrOemEs
– Inside Organizations: 21 Ideas for Managers https://geni.us/YwwL
– Gods of Management: The Four Cultures of Leadership https://geni.us/bpPeC5
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 10 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Management #ManagementCourses #OrganizationalMetaphors