My Top Tips for Giving Great Performance Feedback: Give your Feedback a BOOST
Here are my top tips for giving great performance feedback, to give your feedback a real BOOST.
Watching this video is worth 3 Management Courses CPD Points*.
🔎 See below for details
This video is part of course module number 3.8.2
Program 3: Managing & Leading Individuals
Course 8: Feedback
Section 2: How to Give Feedback
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 When and Where to Give Feedback https://youtu.be/FKPVJC6-Two
🎬 How to Plan Your Performance Feedback https://youtu.be/FDbcw9_tHlM
🎬 How to Give Formal Performance Feedback: The Process https://youtu.be/H2VY3NIZL80
🎬 Why You Should Never Use the Feedback Sandwich https://youtu.be/lADS1zf1osI
🎬 What is the Starfish Model for Giving Feedback? https://youtu.be/IzC5jeyXWkA
Framework to remember: BOOST
Balanced – but the ‘right’ balance – and don’t overdo it – let the Receiver ask for more feedback if they need it.
Observed – Give facts before opinions, and use observations, not inferences.
Objective – the behavior: not the person – What the person does and can therefore choose to alter rather than what or who they are.
Specific – A generalization is not helpful, if does not give a clear indication of necessary behavioral changes.
Positive Feedback the Easy Way
• The Little Stroke – “nice work” “well done”
• The Knee-jerk “Wow!” “Fantastic!”
• The Particular Favourite “I really like…” “…is excellent”
Top Tips from my experience…
• Keep it simple
• Take it slowly – don’t rush
• A chunk at a time
• Read their non-verbal cues
• Check to ensure understanding.
• Don’t be afraid of silence
• Don’t feel the need to convince them that you are right – back off if they become defensive. Maybe suggest a break for reflection.
1. Next time you need to give formal performance feedback, use the BOOST framework (2 MC CPD Points)
2. After using the BOOST framework, evaluate how effective it has been (2 MC CPD Points)
3. Try giving out positive feedback throughout the week. Observe and note the effects it has (2 MC CPD Points)
4. Compile your own set of top tips for great performance feedback, which you can use and expand upon over the course of your career (3 MC CPD Points)
📖 Feedback (and Other Dirty Words): Why We Fear It, How to Fix It https://geni.us/Pg4gk
📖 Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well https://geni.us/OtdDnSy
📖 HBR Guide to Delivering Effective Feedback https://geni.us/h0cN
📖 Feedback Pocketbook https://geni.us/D8Ar
📖 Feedback Toolkit: 16 Tools for Better Communication in the Workplace https://geni.us/x8TGT4
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 3 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 12 MC CPD points
#ManagementCourses #Feedback #BOOST