Opening Stage of the Negotiation Process
The opening stage of a negotiation is where the parties first come together. It sets up a shared basis for the negotiation to come.
When you are opening your negotiation, there are seven things you need to cover. So, I’ll take you thorugh each of them in this video.
The Opening Stage is the second step in the basic negotiation process.
Watching this video is worth 3 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 5.2.1
Program 5: Managerial Skillset
Course 2: Negotiation
Section 1: Basic Negotiation Process
Other videos about the Fundamental Model of Negotiation include:
. Fundamental Model of Negotiation – https://youtu.be/PKz4pDm1e90
. Preparation Stage – https://youtu.be/Adr9STSP2FI
. Opening Stage – https://youtu.be/TzVSihe5vmA
. Bargaining Stage – https://youtu.be/4mOK_Z6VbX0
. Negotiating Team Roles – https://youtu.be/UyLq0MsSvv0
. Closing Stage – https://youtu.be/mLXtLRPuTXE
. Negotiation Follow-up – https://youtu.be/ln5DTgcUg1c
After this set, look out for 5.2.2 – Key Concepts on Negotiation
There are seven things you need to cover in the opening stage of a negotiation.
The order I suggest is ideal – you can’t always achieve this.
But you do need to cover off all seven.
1. Make a strong first impression
2. Build rapport
3. Check the level of authority they have to make commitments and deliver a final agreement
4. Agree the basis of the meeting – the decision process
5. Agree any admin and ground rules
6. Establish their outcome
7. Set out your outcome
Items 6 & 7 are sometimes reversed
1. In your Negotiating Notebook, create a simple one-page checklist for next time you start a negotiation. (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Another important consideration at the start of a negotiation meeting is the layout of where people will sit in the meeting room. We have two videos that will help you think this through. Watch:
a. Power in the Meeting Room: Psychology of Seating Positions
https://youtu.be/Bh8MnOJ6RQw (score the MC CPD Points for that video)
b. Seating Psychology in One-on-One Meetings
https://youtu.be/bh_R7z8uquA (score the MC CPD Points for that video)
– CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
– Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
Negotiate Wisely in Business and Technlogy (A basic introduction) https://geni.us/a2n1T6Y
Everything is Negotiable) (A basic introduction) https://geni.us/Ozwwr
Getting to Yes (the classic text) https://geni.us/U3CjduK
Getting Past No (the follow-up to Getting to Yes) https://geni.us/VQAd7
Bargaining for Advantage (another classic) https://geni.us/anBn
Negotiation Genius (Modern look at the negotiation mindset) https://geni.us/cBKKn3x
Never Split the Difference (red hot tips from ex-hostage negotiator) https://geni.us/YBSogJ
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 3 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 5 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Negotiation #Opening #ManagementTraining