Peer Pressure: The Awesome Power of Social Proof
Humans feel a deep need to fit in, to conform. The harder the choice we face, the more we defer to others. I call this the ‘eight-out-of-ten-cat-owners’ effect. Psychologists call it Social Proof.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
🔎 See below for details
Influencing and Persuading
This video is part of course module number 2.6.3
Program 2: Manager as Communicator
Course 6: Influencing and Persuading
Section 3: The Psychology of Influence and Persuasion
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 WIIFM? How to Use Self-interest to Influence and Persuade https://youtu.be/sVf70Hj5pOs
🎬 Power of the Word ‘Because’ in Influence and Persuasion https://youtu.be/ycoBykhpkes
🎬 Use the Power of Scarcity with Integrity https://youtu.be/jAh–JIlxaU
🎬 Getting Agreement by Slicing up the Pie https://youtu.be/i9SNyDM4eFw
🎬 The Jiminy Cricket Effect: Cognitive Dissonance and the Urge for Consistency https://youtu.be/dzUMLoWQgKo
🎬 Momentum: How to Make it Easy for them to Say ‘Yes’ https://youtu.be/uQwP5EEbcY0
🎬 Paradox of Choice: Influencing through Selection https://youtu.be/Iuf7s_rb_hE
= = LESSON NOTES = =
The more people you can convince, the easier it will be to convince the next one. Viral Marketing relies on potential users spreading the idea “like a virus”.
People like us
Whose judgment do you trust most?
1. You trust experts, because of their authority and credibility.
2. You trust people you like.
3. But you also trust people like you.
Never underestimate the need of most people to fit in. So, a part of social proof and peer pressure is the need to:
• Conform with social expectations
• Act loyally
• Do our duty
• Comply with rules
= = RECOMMENDED EXERCISE = =
1. Notice conformity and the use of social proof in your workplace. How big is its effect? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Next time you need to persuade, build allies whose support you can use. How effective is this? (2 MC CPD Points)
= = RECOMMENDED READING = =
📖 My own book on Influence (introductory level)
– How to Influence in Any Situation (Brilliant Influence 2nd Ed) https://geni.us/dAS7
📖 Excellent books at a more advanced level
– Influence: Science and Practice (a classic) https://geni.us/DIX0kFL
– Influencer: The New Science of Leading Change https://geni.us/3nBJM
– The Influence Agenda (for Stakeholder Engagement) https://geni.us/InfAg
– Methods of Persuasion https://geni.us/EVYP
– Presuasion https://geni.us/aBZo0XO
– 5 Paths to Persuasion https://geni.us/Vg2vB
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
= = MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS = =
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 6 MC CPD points
00:00 – Stop and stare
00:43 – The need to conform
01:02 – We influence each other
01:38 – The Eight-out-of-ten-cat-owners Principle
02:28 – Social Proof
02:48 – Viral Marketing
03:31 – How to use social proof
03:45 – Testimonials
04:18 – Whose judgment do you trust most?
05:14 – People who aren’t like you
06:18 – The power of conformity
#SocialProof #ManagementCourses #Conformity