Philip Kotler: The Father of Modern Marketing
People refer to Philip Kotler as the ‘father of modern marketing’. His contribution to marketing is vast and his ideas are foundational. What really stands out was his analytical approach to what was, before Kotler, a woolly and vague social science.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
🔎 See below for details
Marketing for Managers
This video is part of course module number 8.3.6
Program 8: Managing Customers & Clients
Course 3: Marketing for Managers
Section 6: Masters of Marketing
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 Estée Lauder: The Mother of Modern Marketing https://youtu.be/fqMCHag_Cek
🎬 Theodore Levitt: Globalization of Marketing https://youtu.be/J_B42lvxuEc
🎬 Jean-Claude Larréché and Marketing Momentum https://youtu.be/hdnhOOMhL8M
🎬 Seth Godin: Powerhouse of Marketing Ideas https://youtu.be/dkWYPBkB7UI
Kotler’s best-selling textbook, Marketing Management is currently in its 15th edition – https://geni.us/74nCf.
Kotler’s Principles of Marketing just hit its 20th edition – https://geni.us/62Gx
Kotler’s 4 Big Ideas
1. Marketing as a Core Business Function
2. Focus on Your Customer’s Needs
3. Marketing as a Process of Exchange and Communication
4. Five Product Levels
Kotler had a public spat with his contemporary marketing guru, Theodore Levitt – https://youtu.be/J_B42lvxuEc.
Levitt believed that corporations should standardize their products globally, and build global brand messages and marketing campaigns.
Kotler saw the value of this but argued that corporations must embrace cultural and other local differences. He advocates a mixture of global and local marketing that has become known as ‘glocal’.
1. What is the status of marketing in your organization? To what extent is it core? And, in the case of your organization, what are the pros and cons of Kotler’s assertion that it should be? (3 MC CPD Points)
2. To what extent does your organization prioritize understanding the needs of its customers or clients? What else could it do, to improve this? (3 MC CPD Points)
3. How do the products or services your organization offers fit into Kotler’s 5 product levels? (3 MC CPD Points)
📖 Very quick overview
Marketing: A Very Short Introduction https://geni.us/ozSJF
📖 Good general overviews
Kotler on Marketing https://geni.us/JNeVHy
Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind https://geni.us/kGj4KCA
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing https://geni.us/RVU1
Marketing For Dummies https://geni.us/sZXAw
📖 Small business marketing
The 1-Page Marketing Plan https://geni.us/Xb4wBk
📖 For a textbook, you can’t go wrong with Kotler’s name on it!
Marketing: An Introduction https://geni.us/q4gzVOw
Principles of Marketing https://geni.us/gsFeMT5
Marketing Management https://geni.us/i3FO
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 11 MC CPD points
00:00 – Philip Kotler, the Father of Modern Marketing
00:50 – About Philip Kotler
01:52 – Kotler’s 4 Big Ideas
02:06 – Marketing as a Core Business Function
03:00 – Focus on Your Customer’s Needs
03:52 – Marketing as a Process of Exchange and Communication
04:45 – Five Product Levels
06:52 – Summing up Philip Kotler
#Marketing #ManagementCourses #PhilipKotler