Preparation Stage of the Negotiation Process
A large part of the success of your negotiation will come from the preparation stage. This is where you think about the outcome you want from your negotiation.
And there is a lot to prepare. So, in this video I will take you through all the things you need to include in your negotiation preparation.
The Preparation Stage is the first step in the basic negotiation process.
Watching this video is worth 4 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 5.2.1
Program 5: Managerial Skillset
Course 2: Negotiation
Section 1: Basic Negotiation Process
Other videos about the Fundamental Model of Negotiation include:
. Fundamental Model of Negotiation – https://youtu.be/PKz4pDm1e90
. Preparation Stage – https://youtu.be/Adr9STSP2FI
. Opening Stage – https://youtu.be/TzVSihe5vmA
. Bargaining Stage – https://youtu.be/4mOK_Z6VbX0
. Negotiating Team Roles – https://youtu.be/UyLq0MsSvv0
. Closing Stage – https://youtu.be/mLXtLRPuTXE
. Negotiation Follow-up – https://youtu.be/ln5DTgcUg1c
After this set, look out for 5.2.2 – Key Concepts on Negotiation
The three key things to consider in your preparation, ahead of negotiating, are:
1. Goal: What you want to achieve
2. Objectives: Measures of success
– How much?
3. What is your bottom-line, your walk-away limit?
BATNA = Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement
Scope for Negotiation
. Compare what you want with what you believe they want
. What are your areas of flexibility?
. This gives you your negotiating parameters.
. The important thing is to know the value of each thing:
– To you
– To them
Start negotiating with a high initial position
. Don’t prepare to compromise before you have to
. You need 3 positions:
– an initial (ideal) position
– a target (realistic) position
– a BATNA (fall-back)
Research before negotiating
Plan your negotiation process
– Options and alternatives
– Long-term considerations
– Meeting tactics
– Handling set-backs
– Team roles (future video)
1. Ahead of your next negotiation, create your own Negotiation Preparation Checklist in your Negotiating Notebook. Like a set of preflight checks, this should contain everything you need to do before starting the negotiation. Use the content of this video as a framework, and add to it from your own experience. (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Next time you have a negotiation coming up, work through your checklist. Tick off items as you complete them and document your conclusions. Amend and improve your checklist as you go. (4 MC CPD Points)
3. You might like to take a look at our video on Scope for Agreement https://youtu.be/cb1Bf09p2eg
Negotiate Wisely in Business and Technlogy (A basic introduction) https://geni.us/a2n1T6Y
Everything is Negotiable) (A basic introduction) https://geni.us/Ozwwr
Getting to Yes (the classic text) https://geni.us/U3CjduK
Getting Past No (the follow-up to Getting to Yes) https://geni.us/VQAd7
Bargaining for Advantage (another classic) https://geni.us/anBn
Negotiation Genius (Modern look at the negotiation mindset) https://geni.us/cBKKn3x
Never Split the Difference (red hot tips from ex-hostage negotiator) https://geni.us/YBSogJ
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 4 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 10 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Negotiation #ManagementCourses #ManagementTraining