Self Motivation: What is it and How to Build it
Self Motivation is your ability to get up and get going when you’d really rather curl up and let it go.
Get our Kindle-exclusive companion to this course: Emotional Intelligence: A Management Courses Introduction https://geni.us/FsuCDrK
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
🔎 See below for details
Overview of Emotional Intelligence
This video is part of course module number 1.4.2
Program 1: Managing Yourself
Course 4: Emotional Intelligence
Section 2: The Components of Emotional Intelligence
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 Self Awareness https://youtu.be/qcWMsY2erI4
🎬 Self Regulation https://youtu.be/va1r9mDTdJo
🎬 Social Awareness https://youtu.be/JbXpjpLM6kI
🎬 Social Skills https://youtu.be/l1JlcG_flj4
= = LESSON NOTES
The key components of Self-Motivation are:
• A strong drive to achieve
• Optimism – even when things don’t go well
We have a whole course on motivation. But we usually turn those techniques outwards, to motivate the people who work with and for us, as managers.
Here, we need to apply selected approaches to ourselves, starting with:
1. Knowing what your goals are, and
2. Crucially, knowing why they matter
For most people, self-talk gets in the way. So, it’s self-talk that is also the solution!
Timothy Gallwey’s Performance Equation:
Performance = Potential – Interference
Most of that interference comes from you and your disruptive self-talk.
You can find self-motivation from a support network of family, friends, and good colleagues.
Clear everything physical that is getting in the way. Create an inviting environment to get stuff done.
= = RECOMMENDED EXERCISE
1. Consider the circumstances when your own self-talk provides interference to your own performance (2 MC CPD Points)
2. What different self-talk could you use to create that interference? (2 MC CPD Points)
3. What forms of self-motivation work best for you? And how can you make them more effective still? (2 MC CPD Points)
4. Look at my Procrastination video, Conquer Procrastination: How to Avoid Putting Things Off (https://youtu.be/YK0u1yXGYlY) It has 16 more practical tips.
= = RECOMMENDED READING
📖 Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter More Than IQ
📖 Working with Emotional Intelligence
📖 The New Leaders: Transforming the Art of Leadership
📖 Emotional Intelligence: Build Strong Social Skills and Improve Your Relationships
📖 Emotional Intelligence Pocketbook: Little Exercises for an Intuitive Life
📖 EQ Applied: The Real-World Guide to Emotional Intelligence
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon and help support our free videos
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
= = MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 8 MC CPD points
= = CHAPTER MARKERS
00:00 – Self-Motivation: get Going and Keep Going
00:17 – The Key Components to Self-Motivation
00:37 – General Motivation is covered in a whole course
01:14 – Self-motivation starts with two things
02:05 – Self-talk gets in the way of Self-motivation
02:43 – Pain vs Gain
05:05 – Timothy Gallwey’s Performance Equation
06:22 – Talking of friends…
06:47 – Clear the blockers
07:21 – Conquer Procrastination
07:33 – Summing up
#ManagementCourses #Emotional Intelligence #SelfMotivation