Social Awareness: What is it and How to Build it
Social Awareness is important if you want to manage a successful team. It gives you the ability to put yourself in your team member’s shoes: to understand how they are feeling. At its heart is empathy.
Get our Kindle-exclusive companion to this course: Emotional Intelligence: A Management Courses Introduction https://geni.us/FsuCDrK
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
🔎 See below for details
Overview of Emotional Intelligence
This video is part of course module number 1.4.2
Program 1: Managing Yourself
Course 4: Emotional Intelligence
Section 2: The Components of Emotional Intelligence
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 Self Awareness https://youtu.be/qcWMsY2erI4
🎬 Self Regulation https://youtu.be/va1r9mDTdJo
🎬 Self Motivation https://youtu.be/sJg3as0Kw1I
🎬 Social Skills https://youtu.be/l1JlcG_flj4
= = LESSON NOTES
The key components of Social Awareness, are:
• Understanding others
• Responding to their mood
• Cultural and social sensitivity
Mindfulness is important in building social awareness.
If you want to hone your empathy skills, practice hard. Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
1. Pay attention to cues like Postures, movements, gestures, facial expressions, tone of voice, and even eye movements: See, listen, notice
2. Try seeing the world through other people’s eyes, experiencing what it’s like to walk in their shoes. You’ll be amazed.
3. Make this a habit
Four types of empathy and social awareness…
1. Primal Empathy
The ability to read other people’s moods and emotions from expressions, gestures, tone of voice…
2. Empathic Accuracy
Translating your intuitive assessment of somebody’s emotional state into an explicit understanding, via experience and reasoning, which you can validate through further observation.
Understanding the other person’s perspective through focused attention, deep listening, and careful observation.
4. Social Cognition
Your ability to understand how social structures and norms operate within your culture, and your ability to read social signals accurately.
= = RECOMMENDED EXERCISE
1. Make a more conscious choice to observe people carefully, looking for clues to their emotional state (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Also pay attention to the mood in the room, wherever you are with more than one other person at work (2 MC CPD Points)
3. And notice the choices people make as a result of either the culture you are in, or their interpretation of it. (2 MC CPD Points)
= = RECOMMENDED READING
📖 Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter More Than IQ
📖 Working with Emotional Intelligence
📖 The New Leaders: Transforming the Art of Leadership
📖 Emotional Intelligence: Build Strong Social Skills and Improve Your Relationships
📖 Emotional Intelligence Pocketbook: Little Exercises for an Intuitive Life
📖 EQ Applied: The Real-World Guide to Emotional Intelligence
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon and help support our free videos
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
= = MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 8 MC CPD points
= = CHAPTER MARKERS
00:00 – Empathy and Social Awareness
00:21 – Key Components of empathy and social awareness
00:52 – Mindfulness and Social Awareness
01:36 – Body Language
02:14 – How to develop your empathy skills
03:41 – Mirror Neurons
04:56 – Self-talk
06:00 – Bonus extra: 4 Types of Empathy and Social Awareness
07:42 – What follows from this?
#ManagementCourses #Emotional Intelligence #SocialAwareness