Special Time: and How to Use it to Work Effectively
If you want to work effectively and be as productive as possible, you need to use the Special Time you have available to its fullest.
So, in this video, let’s look at what Special Time is, and the five types of special time you can use.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 1.6.1
Program 1: Managing Yourself
Course 6: Personal Productivity
Section 1: Effective Working
Relevant videos in the same section as this video include:
– The Power of Habits: Productivity through Effective Working
– Organization: How to Enhance Your Productivity by Being Organized
– Use your Energy Cycles for More Effective Working and Greater Productivity
– Wellbeing: What to do to Increase Your Productivity
– The Flow State… and How Flow Can Help You Work Effectively
There are times in your week that are particularly well-suited to specific attetion: ‘Special Time’. There are 5 types of special time.
A special time when we are absolutely at our peak of energy and creativity, when work just flows easily.
Prime times are the slots in the day when your energy will be high, which you set aside for important or difficult work/activities.
Times when you are at peak creativity. Maybe: daydreaming on the bus, sitting at a café, or in the shower. Let your thoughts wander and listen to your insights.
The Next Bend
Set aside time in your working week to take yourself off quietly to think about what’s coming around the next bend. What are you missing when your head is buried in time-critical priorities?
The gaps between activities – like the fifteen minutes before a meeting you’ve arrived early for – are moments of freedom. You have nothing you must do, so you can choose one thing and focus on it totally. These can be very productive moments or, equally, very relaxing.
1. Think about when your own Golden Hour is. Change your routine to make best use of it. (2 MC CPD Points)
2. When are you at your most energetic? Use this knowledge to schedule your most demanding activities. You may also want to take a look at our video ‘Use your Energy Cycles for More Effective Working and Greater Productivity’ – https://youtu.be/q_s0FkWISLo (2 MC CPD Points)
3. Consider when you are at your most creative. If you need to stimulate ideas, you’ll be able to make use of this knowledge. (1 MC CPD Point)
4. Do you set aside time to think about what’s coming around the next bend? If not, find time in your diary over the next few weeks and schedule the next four sessions. Better still schedule a recurring event. You can always change the timing to suit circumstances. (2 MC CPD Points)
5. Next time you have a chance to fill a gap in your diary with a single focused activity that uses your time well… take it. Repeat. (1 MC CPD Point for each of the first 4 uses of this principle – 1×4 MC CPD Points )
– CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
– Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
I’ll be as modest as I can. I’m something of an expert on effective working, personal productivity, & time management, with 4 best-selling books by 3 international publishers:
– The Time Management Pocketbook
– How to Manage Your Time
– Powerhouse: Turbo Boost Your Effectiveness and Start Making a Serious Impact
– The Yes/No Book: How to do less… and achieve more
And here are my picks from the thousands of other books on personal productivity, effective working, & time management:
– The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
– The Power of Habit: Why we Do what we Do, and How to Change
– Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
– Eat that Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 13 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Productivity #EffectiveWorking #SpecialTime