Strategic Time Management: What and How
‘People are our most valuable asset’ they say. But, in truth, you can replace them. But you can’t replace time. When it’s gone, it’s gone forever. Strategic Time Management treats time as the strategic asset it really is.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*
See below for more details
This video is part of course module number 1.6.2
Program 1: Managing Yourself
Course 6: Personal Productivity
Section 2: Time Management
Relevant videos in the same section as this video include:
– The Power of Habits: Productivity through Effective Working
– Organization: How to Enhance Your Productivity by Being Organized
– Planning, Preparation, and Follow-up: Effective Working for Better Productivity
– Monkey Management: How to Deal with a Monkey on Your Back
– Activity Log: Logging Your Time and Activities
– Goal Setting: The Start of Your Time Management
– Time Management with The OATS Principle
– Prioritization: Understand Urgent & Important
– Prioritization with the Pareto Principle – the 80-20 Rule
– How to Say NO: Noble Objection – the Ultimate in Time Management
– How to Handle Interruptions and Distractions
‘De-layering’ and ‘widening spans of control’ puts more work on people with a fixed capacity. They become bottlenecks and crisis managers.
They get overworked and stressed, without time to read briefings or think strategically. They rush one-to-ones. Morale drops. They work late but get further behind. They’re tired, with a persistent cold, and their family hardly see them.
This isn’t productivity. Nor is it effective. It’s just busyness.
Strategic Time Management means treating people’s time as precious.
Many organizational projects fail because organizations take on too many projects. They don’t have the resources to do them all well. Strategic Time Management means taking on fewer projects, and making them matter.
Managers may work 220 days a year, or 55 days per quarter. What proportion of time does each of these merit? What strategic value can each one deliver? What risk is attached to each? Your diary should match your priorities.
Create a quarterly time budget. Identify 5 crucial priorities for the quarter. Give 95% of your time to them, with the other 5% for admin. Split that 95% between your priorities. Check it is reasonable to achieve your outcomes in the days you allotted.
Assign one or more of your priorities to each person who works for you. Help them split their time among the priorities you set and determine the outcomes. Now everyone in your team is working to the same set of strategic priorities.
1. Think about the impact of strategic time management in your organization. What can you do to become an advocate for it? (4 MC CPD Points)
2. Take action. Start an initiative to improve the use of time across your part of your organization. (4 MC CPD Points)
Free Resources: CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Paid resources: Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
The Time Management Pocketbook contains details of Strategic Time Management – https://geni.us/gHa4
I’ll be as modest as I can. I’m something of an expert on effective working, personal productivity, & time management, with 4 best-selling books by 3 international publishers:
– How to Manage Your Time – https://geni.us/Cpvp
– Powerhouse: Turbo Boost Your Effectiveness and Start Making a Serious Impact – https://geni.us/H7GDizc
– The Yes/No Book: How to do less… and achieve more – https://geni.us/yhF90n
And here are my picks from the thousands of other books on personal productivity, effective working, & time management:
– The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – https://geni.us/Zulp
– The Power of Habit: Why we Do what we Do, and How to Change –https://geni.us/vNtXd4
– Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less – https://geni.us/JxTY
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log. Download it at https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has 2 levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 10 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Productivity #TimeManagement #StrategicTimeManagement