Structure Your Comments: 5 Ways to Enhance your Authority
One of the most powerful ways to enhance your gravitas is to structure your comments. This shows that you are in command of what you’re saying and demonstrates logical thinking. Both of these will give your listeners confidence that they can trust in the authority of what you are saying.
So, in this video, I’ll introduce the five S’s of good structure that will allow you to contribute to a conversation with gravitas.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 1.5.6
Program 1: Managing Yourself
Course 5: Personal Impact
Section 6: Gravitas
Primary videos that precede this video include:
– The Trust Equation – Gravitas needs Trust https://youtu.be/ikVmmhONXig
– Credibility: Gain Gravitas through Knowledge and Experience https://youtu.be/KeR72NWxfB4
– The Presence of Gravitas: How Deliberate Pacing makes People Take Note https://youtu.be/9maBWUa8j5c
– Speaking with the Voice of Authority: How it Builds Gravitas https://youtu.be/EefSdq4P3qo
– The Power of Silence: How to Use it to Enhance Your Gravitas https://youtu.be/A3WpgR6biu4
– Style and Presentation to Enhance Your Gravitas https://youtu.be/IeRlYtS-5iU
The Next video to watch is:
– Avoid Leaking Authority and Giving up Gravitas https://youtu.be/UcosCN6-teE
Structure your comments with the following tips:
1. Select what you choose to speak about… and on what topics you will remain silent
2. Simplify and Clarify a complex situation or convoluted remarks others have made
3. Deploy clear reasoning and a logical structure in the contributions you make. See our video on Structured response Formats for more details: https://youtu.be/SB23yRpGFkE
4. Synthesize other contributions and make sense of apparently conflicting information without getting caught into fruitless ‘this or that’ arguments.
5. Summarise a long conversation, bringing out the most salient points and adding your own insight.
1. Make a quick note of these five S’s in your meeting notebook, so you have them to hand as a quick reminder, whenever you attend a meeting. (1 MC CPD Point)
2. If you haven’t done so, watch our video: Structured response Formats https://youtu.be/SB23yRpGFkE (3 MC CPD Points) – or re-watch it if you have seen it!
3. Practice using these five approaches over the next few weeks. (3 MC CPD Points)
4. At the end of the period, reflect on what you have observed and what you have learned. Make a record in your Personal Confidence Log. Think about which approaches come easily to you , and which you need to focus on for the next few weeks. (3 MC CPD Points)
– Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges https://geni.us/SCerYBh
– Executive Presence: The Art of Commanding Respect Like a CEO https://geni.us/QqYV
– How to Speak so People Listen https://geni.us/HSPL
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 11 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon