Team Building Events: Why, What, and How?
Team building is an important part of getting the best from your team. This is a thorough primer for any manager who needs to get team building right.
Watching this video is worth 6 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 4.3.1
Program 4: Managing & Leading Groups
Course 3: Teams
Section 1: Team Development & Team Building
Other videos in this section include:
– What is a Team https://youtu.be/nq2Arav7t4Q
– The Tuckman Team Development Model https://youtu.be/-nlMJcTAz_g
– Accelerate Team Development with Swift Trust https://youtu.be/aiVYyDCz-3s
– Establishing Team Behavior Norms https://youtu.be/4-TM6kINcUs
– John Whitmore’s Team Development Model https://youtu.be/VxPzQMseW7E
– Cog’s Ladder of Group Experiences https://youtu.be/aVqp7Zr5DW4
– The Drexler-Sibbet Team Performance Model https://youtu.be/HjEvSjkD7L0
– Kurt Lewin’s Freeze Phases for Team Development https://youtu.be/i9wNwxy9Zmo
Team building is:
A team event or activity designed to increase social cohesion and collaboration within a team.
It is not about functional, technical or process skills. Team building is not team training. It helps resolve breakdowns in teamwork and performance problems.
Team Building can be designed for many purposes, such as:
• Alignment around team objectives
• Clarity of roles & work allocation
• Improving collaborative behaviours
• Increasing trust and confidence
• Strengthening relationships and group cohesion
• Reducing conflict
• Appreciation of individual strengths, values, and styles
• Solving problems and improving critical thinking
• Strengthening decision-making processes
• Finding better ways to communicate with one another
• Building team member motivation to participate in workplace team efforts
• Enhancing commitment to the team as a social unit
Team building interventions will have one of two purposes:
Team Building and the Tuckman Model
See the video on the Tuckman Model of Group formation https://youtu.be/-nlMJcTAz_g. We can relate typical team building objectives to the four stages of Tuckman’s group/team lifecycle.
How to Do Team Building Well
Trying to do team building on the cheap can set the team back as readily as it can move it forward. There are three principal stages:
1 Clear objectives
2 Careful design to meet objectives
3 Effective debrief
Three Cautions, to get Team Building Right
You have a duty of care to your colleagues and staff. So, you need to properly test activities, that are planned and run by skilled and experienced facilitators.
1. Could your team benefit from a team building activity? If so, would it be remedial or for team enhancement? (1 MC CPD Point)
2. If your team could benefit from team building, what would be your objectives? (2 MC CPD Points)
3. If you develop a team building event of any sort, you’ll need to plan it carefully. (4 MC CPD Points)
– The Five Dysfunctions of a Team https://geni.us/wbIE
– The Wisdom of Teams https://geni.us/7i1AL
– The Belbin Guide to Succeeding at Work https://geni.us/Kzc4GV4
– Dream Teams: Working Together Without Falling Apart https://geni.us/oAgEOdA
– Pulling Together: 10 Rules for High-Performance Teamwork https://geni.us/zUVV3G
– HBR’s 10 Must Reads on Teams https://geni.us/0DLsNe4
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 6 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 13 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Management #ManagementCourses #TeamBuilding team building activities mike clayton management training team building events