The Features of Organizations: What an Organization Needs
What does an organization need to have… The features of Organizations?
Let’s look at what organizations (almost) always need, if they are to work effectively.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
The Nature of Organizations
This video is part of course module number 6.1.1
Program 6: Managing within Organizations
Course 1: The Nature of Organizations
Section 1: Introduction to Organizations
Other videos in this section include:
– What is an Organization? https://youtu.be/bfqubYe8YNA
– Morgan’s 8 Organizational Metaphors: An Organization is Like a… https://youtu.be/a60rsgbmw2c
– Organizations as Structures: Understanding an Organization as a Structure https://youtu.be/LLnoTLkapjo
– Organizations as Processes: Understanding an Organization as a Set of Processes https://youtu.be/i51iHWLB3hE
– Why do we need Organizations? Structure vs Agility https://youtu.be/o9u0i0wOog4
11 Features of Organizations – the things that organizations need:
Mission, Goals, Objectives
A sense of Direction…
…and how to get there
How people relate
Assets, equipment, and materials
There’s a better word for ‘human resources’: people
Norms of behavior, shared values
Defied authorities, responsibilities, and oversight. Policies
Intellectual capital, capabilities, skills
Cultural and experiential memory. Storage, learning lessons, archiving
It’s hard to conceive of a modern organization managing without some form of appropriate technology – even if it’s just pencils, paper, tables, and the wheel.
Think about organizations you have known.
1. To what extent do they have all or some of these features? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Are there any features you can discern in many organizations you have known that are not properly represented in the list from the video? (2 MC CPD Points)
– Understanding Organizations https://geni.us/oB774Do
– Images of Organization https://geni.us/hrOemEs
– Inside Organizations: 21 Ideas for Managers https://geni.us/YwwL
– Gods of Management: The Four Cultures of Leadership https://geni.us/bpPeC5
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 6 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Management #ManagementCourses #FeaturesOfOrganizations