The Flow State… and How Flow Can Help You Work Effectively
Have you ever had the experience of being so focused on what you are doing that time just flows past without you even noticing? That is a flow state.
The psychologist, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, first described flow states, and they are a powerful tool for effective working and high levels of personal productivity.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 1.6.1
Program 1: Managing Yourself
Course 6: Personal Productivity
Section 1: Effective Working
Relevant videos in the same section as this video include:
– The Power of Habits: Productivity through Effective Working
– Organization: How to Enhance Your Productivity by Being Organized
– Planning, Preparation, and Follow-up: Effective Working for Better Productivity
– Use your Energy Cycles for More Effective Working and Greater Productivity
– Wellbeing: What to do to Increase Your Productivity
– Milestones and Deadlines for Self-Motivation and Greater Productivity
– Failure of Multitasking: The Multitasking Myth
– Special Time: and How to Use it to Work Effectively
– The Flow State… and How Flow Can Help You Work Effectively
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi is an academic psychologist. He specializes in Positive Psychology. His book, ‘Flow, the Psychology of Happiness’ (https://geni.us/sKXY), describes the flow state. More helpfully, it also tells us how we can enter flow states. This means we can use them to create the conditions for maximum personal productivity.
A Flow State is the optimum experience for a human being. Flow is a state of happiness.
‘In theory, any job could be changed so as to make it more enjoyable by following the prescriptions of the flow model’
You can transform your work into work that can trigger a flow state by setting up three conditions:
1. Balance skill vs challenge
2. Clear goals
3. Immediate feedback
1. Lok for opportunities to transform mundane, dull, even unpleasant tasks in your life into flow state activities Take the first one out for a test-drive. (2 MC CPD Points)
For this video, the book to read is: ‘Flow, the Psychology of Happiness’
I’ll be as modest as I can. I’m something of an expert on effective working, personal productivity, & time management, with 4 best-selling books by 3 international publishers:
– The Time Management Pocketbook
– How to Manage Your Time
– Powerhouse: Turbo Boost Your Effectiveness and Start Making a Serious Impact
– The Yes/No Book: How to do less… and achieve more
And here are my picks from the thousands of other books on personal productivity, effective working, & time management:
– The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
– The Power of Habit: Why we Do what we Do, and How to Change
– Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
– Eat that Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 4 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Productivity #EffectiveWorking #Flow