The Principles of Performance Feedback: Feedback Principles that set the BAR high
Performance feedback should be excellent. So, I want to share with you three feedback principles that set the BAR high
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
🔎 See below for details
This video is part of course module number 3.8.1
Program 3: Managing & Leading Individuals
Course 8: Feedback
Section 1: Introduction to Feedback
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 What is Feedback? And Why Does it Matter? https://youtu.be/qbk35u6kBSg
🎬 Types of Performance Feedback: 8 Varieties https://youtu.be/o5Po2Eqz4sU
1. Behaviours not labels
What the individual does and can therefore choose to alter rather than what he/she is.
• Motivations, Attitudes, and Beliefs
• Sense of Identity
Can only observe behavior and outcomes
Give facts before opinions, and use observations, not inferences.
Cannot know what is unseen, below the waterline
2. Excellent feedback creates high-quality Awareness
• A generalization is not helpful, it does not easily stimulate behavioral changes.
• Check to ensure understanding.
• Don’t overdo it – let the Receiver ask for more feedback if he or she needs it.
3. Need to incite Responsibility to take action
Give Feedback with the intent to help someone learn and develop themselves. As a result, feedback should be part of a process, rather than a single event
• Focus on the future, rather than on the past
• “Praise grows us like sunlight grows a flower” – It is far easier to develop a strength than it is to overcome a weakness
• Describe things which the Receive(s) can do something about. Don’t antagonize.
• To be effective in making change, we must take responsibility for acting on the feedback we receive
Think back to times you have received helpful and unhelpful feedback.
1. Can you find examples of how helpful feedback followed these principles and set a high BAR for you? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Can you find examples of how unhelpful feedback breached one or more of these principles? (2 MC CPD Points)
🧰 CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
🧳 Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
📖 Feedback (and Other Dirty Words): Why We Fear It, How to Fix It https://geni.us/Pg4gk
📖 Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well https://geni.us/OtdDnSy
📖 HBR Guide to Delivering Effective Feedback https://geni.us/h0cN
📖 Feedback Pocketbook https://geni.us/D8Ar
📖 Feedback Toolkit: 16 Tools for Better Communication in the Workplace https://geni.us/x8TGT4
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 6 MC CPD points
#ManagementCourses #Feedback #FeedbackPrinciples