Victor Vroom and Expectancy Theory: Process of Model of Motivation
Victor Vroom offers us a powerful process model of motivation: expectancy Theory. It’s less well-known than it should be. Expectancy Theory won’t tell you what motivates people. Bt it will tell you why motivation sometimes works, and why it sometimes fails.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 3.7.2
Program 3: Managing and Leading Individuals
Course 7: Motivation
Section 2: Process Models of Motivation
Primary videos that follow this video include:
Process Models of Motivation
– Elton Mayo and the Hawthorne Experiment https://youtu.be/jRMO43s5NGY
– Victor Vroom and Expectancy Theory https://youtu.be/WDgF7Avijlc
– John Stacy Adams and Equity Theory https://youtu.be/ksnCw96vg7M
– Douglas McGregor and Theory X & Theory Y https://youtu.be/fS5iqEf1Azs
Victor Vroom offers us a powerful process model of motivation: expectancy Theory.
We can represent it, as Vroom did, as a motivation Equation:
M = E x I x V (Expectancy x Instrumentality x Valence)
But here, I simplify it further by illustrating it as a chain of motivation. And, if any one of the links is weak, motivation will fail.
1. Have you ever seen motivation fail? How did the events in your experience reflect Vroom’s Expectancy Theory? Reflect on what your own experiences tell you about the effectiveness of the two approaches to management. Make notes in your journal, notebook, or workbook. (3 MC CPD Points)
For a solid introduction to motivation:
– HBR Guide to Motivating People https://geni.us/sO2IKgn
Vroom’s Expectancy Theory is one of the models covered in my own book,
The Management Models Pocketbook https://geni.us/APchbf
The best of modern thinking on motivation, in accessible business books. These are all modern classics:
– Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us https://geni.us/uq3EBO
– Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action https://geni.us/vjErAN
– Lead, Motivate, Engage: How to INSPIRE Your Team to Win at Work https://geni.us/ABkZEx
– Multipliers, Revised and Updated: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smart https://geni.us/E39I
– Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations https://geni.us/uMaP
– The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work https://geni.us/tiEkeH
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it here: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 5 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon