What is a Team?
What is a Team?
This is the first video in a new course on teams and team-working. So we need to start at the beginning and establish what we mean by the term ‘team’.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
This video is part of course module number 4.3.1
Program 4: Managing & Leading Groups
Course 3: Teams
Section 1: Team Development & Team Building
Other videos in this section include:
– The Tuckman Team Development Model https://youtu.be/-nlMJcTAz_g
– Accelerate Team Development with Swift Trust https://youtu.be/aiVYyDCz-3s
– Establishing Team Behavior Norms https://youtu.be/4-TM6kINcUs
– Team Building Events: Why, What, and How? https://youtu.be/nhwBZ4lssM8
– John Whitmore’s Team Development Model https://youtu.be/VxPzQMseW7E
– Cog’s Ladder of Group Experiences https://youtu.be/aVqp7Zr5DW4
– The Drexler-Sibbet Team Performance Model https://youtu.be/HjEvSjkD7L0
– Kurt Lewin’s Freeze Phases for Team Development https://youtu.be/i9wNwxy9Zmo
‘A team is a small number of people who collaborate to achieve a shared goal.’
The keys here are:
• The small number
• Shared goal
Download our free diagnostic tool: https://gum.co/EANnU
How does a team differ from a group?
Teams normally have members with complementary skills. Their collaboration creates synergy – that is, the impact of the team is greater than that of the individuals working alone.
There is a level of mutual support in a team that groups don’t have. The price of this is a mutual accountability – each team member is both supported and held to account by their fellows.
Teams have developed norms of behavior, like communication and support – that groups re-invent time after time.
Groups need conspicuous leadership – teams can be self-leading.
Finally, there is a greater level of trust within a team than an informal group.
1. How would you describe the differences between a team and a group? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. To what extent do the people you led form a true team? (2 MC CPD Points)
– The Five Dysfunctions of a Team https://geni.us/wbIE
– The Wisdom of Teams https://geni.us/7i1AL
– The Belbin Guide to Succeeding at Work https://geni.us/Kzc4GV4
– Dream Teams: Working Together Without Falling Apart https://geni.us/oAgEOdA
– Pulling Together: 10 Rules for High-Performance Teamwork https://geni.us/zUVV3G
– HBR’s 10 Must Reads on Teams https://geni.us/0DLsNe4
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of Y MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Management #ManagementCourses #WhatIsATeam