What is Feedback? And Why Does it Matter?
It feels like everyone knows how important Feedback is at work. But do we really understand it? In this short video, I’ll kick off our course on feedback by giving a very clear answer to the questions: ‘what is feedback?’ and ‘why does it matter?’
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
🔎 See below for details
This video is part of course module number 3.8.1
Program 3: Managing & Leading Individuals
Course 8: Feedback
Section 1: Introduction to Feedback
Giving someone information about what they have done – and perhaps also the effects it has.
Feedback at work is properly about their performance against expectations set out in things like their contract, job or role description, competency framework
Feedback is usually based on evidence, but it could be based on opinion. It may include your reactions and judgments about what is observed.
Critically, feedback is intended to provide helpful information for improving performance, making choices, and developing capabilities
Why give Feedback?
– Tells us that our work, our performance, and we ourselves are important.
– Helps us develop – good for us, good for the organization, good for motivation
– Reinforces desired behaviors
– Gives us a chance to bring a stop to undesirable behaviors
– Creates awareness – shifting people’s self-perceptions and confidence
– Builds relationship between manager and colleague
– Provides external perspective to compare against self-assessment
1. Think of times when you have received feedback. What have been the benefits to you? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Think of times when you have given feedback. What have been the benefits to the other person? (2 MC CPD Points)
3. …and to you? (1 MC CPD Point)
🧰 CPD Tools – https://gum.co/MC-CPD
🧳 Management Courses Onboarding Kit – https://gum.co/MC-ObK ($3)
📖 Feedback (and Other Dirty Words): Why We Fear It, How to Fix It https://geni.us/Pg4gk
📖 Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well https://geni.us/OtdDnSy
📖 HBR Guide to Delivering Effective Feedback https://geni.us/h0cN
📖 Feedback Pocketbook https://geni.us/D8Ar
📖 Feedback Toolkit: 16 Tools for Better Communication in the Workplace https://geni.us/x8TGT4
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 6 MC CPD points
#ManagementCourses #Feedback #WhatIsFeedback