What is Transactional Leadership?
Transactional Leadership is the everyday leadership between a manager and colleague, officer and soldier, or any leader and their followers. It is the process of passing on a request or requirement and winning a commitment to meet it.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
🔎 See below for details
Introduction to Leadership
Program 3: Managing and Leading Individuals
Course 11: Leadership
Section 2: Models of Leadership
Other videos in our Introduction to Leadership:
🎬 Traits based Models of Leadership
🎬 Leadership Behaviors: Task and Relationship Focus
🎬 Action Centered Leadership – A Roles-based or Functional Leadership Model
🎬 Goleman’s 6 Leadership Styles – A Styles Models of Leadership
Transactional Leadership is based on transactions. A reciprocation in which followers commit to actions in exchange for some consideration.
This was developed by James McGregor Burns in his towering book, Leadership [https://geni.us/LHERsIH]
Transactional leadership needs a power base from which the leader can offer rewards or impose sanctions.
Our Motivation Course…
– on YouTube, as a playlist:
– on our website:
Victor Vroom’s Expectancy Theory: https://youtu.be/WDgF7Avijlc
1. Thinking back to recent interactions with your team, what examples of transactional leadership can you identify? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. What is the alternative to transactional leadership. To prepare for the next video in this series, think back again to recent interactions with your team. What examples of non-transactional leadership can you identify? (2 MC CPD Points)
3. How would you describe the forms of leadership you identified in exercise 2? (2 MC CPD Points)
4. Review our video on Vroom’s Expectancy Theory of Motivation: https://youtu.be/WDgF7Avijlc
There are a vast number of Leadership books – perhaps more than on any other management-related topic. And there is also a huge range represented in different lists of the best. This no-doubt reflects the different contexts for leadership.
So, any recommended reading list of leadership books must be particularly subjective. I have chosen those that made me think, and which are of particular value to managerial leaders: not sportspeople, military leaders, or CEOs. In no particular order:
📖 Leaders Eat Last
📖 Start with Why
📖 Humble Leadership
📖 The Leadership Challenge
📖 The New Leaders
📖 Shackleton’s Way
📖 Why should Anyone be Led by You
📖 The Habit of Excellence
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon and help support our free videos
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 7 MC CPD points
00:00 – What is Transactional Leadership
00:26 – Definition of Transactional Leadership
00:57 – Rewards and Sanctions
01:24 – Leadership by James McGregor Burns
01:36 – Transactional Leadership and power
02:20 – Transactional Leadership, motivation, and Vroom’s Expectancy Theory
02:48 – Leadership and willing compliance
03:26 – The importance of Psychological Safety
03:54 – Transactional Leadership and Transformational Leadership
#ManagementCourses #Leadership #TransactionalLeadership