Why do we need Organizations? Structure vs Agility
Why do we need Organizations? The answer lies in the trade-off of Structure versus Agility.
Watching this video is worth 2 Management Courses CPD Points*.
(See below for more details)
The Nature of Organizations
This video is part of course module number 6.1.1
Program 6: Managing within Organizations
Course 1: The Nature of Organizations
Section 1: Introduction to Organizations
Other videos in this section include:
– What is an Organization? https://youtu.be/bfqubYe8YNA
– Morgan’s 8 Organizational Metaphors: An Organization is Like a… https://youtu.be/a60rsgbmw2c
– Organizations as Structures: Understanding an Organization as a Structure https://youtu.be/LLnoTLkapjo
– Organizations as Processes: Understanding an Organization as a Set of Processes https://youtu.be/i51iHWLB3hE
– The Features of Organizations: What an Organization Needs https://youtu.be/vVwryqV92KE
Individuals and small, self-managing clusters of people can be far more entrepreneurial and agile than an organization.
Q: So, why do we need organizations?
A: They magnify capacity and capability
They are a trade-off of the agility of small versus the structure of large. The structure of organizations offers:
Gathering of resources
A holding place for different people and resources
Gathering the resources and people under one structure makes it easier to administer them
Access to funding
Organizations as legal entities
Economies of scale
Purchasing, admin, accommodation, technology – financial synergies
Bringing together diversity
Stimulates creativity – but diversity needs managing
Vehicle for growth
Ability to de-centralize and stay co-ordinated
Think about the different orgabizations you have worked for and with – and other you have known well.
1. What benefits do they bring? (2 MC CPD Points)
2. Are there any benefits of organizations that are not included in this video? (2 MC CPD Points)
– Understanding Organizations https://geni.us/oB774Do
– Images of Organization https://geni.us/hrOemEs
– Inside Organizations: 21 Ideas for Managers https://geni.us/YwwL
– Gods of Management: The Four Cultures of Leadership https://geni.us/bpPeC5
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
Management Courses Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 2 MC CPD points
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 4 MC CPD points
Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
#Management #ManagementCourses #WhyWeNeedOrganizations