WIIFM? How to Use Self-interest to Influence and Persuade
Self-interest is a given and goes without saying. It is obvious that people do what they see as being in their best interests. So, why am I bothering with it?
Because appealing to self-interest works. It is the ‘What’s in it for me?’ principle – the ‘What about Me? – or WAM’ factor.
Watching this video is worth 1 Management Courses CPD Point*.
🔎 See below for details
Influencing and Persuading
This video is part of course module number 2.6.3
Program 2: Manager as Communicator
Course 6: Influencing and Persuading
Section 3: The Psychology of Influence and Persuasion
Other videos in this section include:
🎬 Power of the Word ‘Because’ in Influence and Persuasion https://youtu.be/ycoBykhpkes
🎬 Peer Pressure: The Awesome Power of Social Proof https://youtu.be/1HWkoIAgOuc
🎬 Use the Power of Scarcity with Integrity https://youtu.be/jAh–JIlxaU
🎬 Getting Agreement by Slicing up the Pie https://youtu.be/i9SNyDM4eFw
🎬 The Jiminy Cricket Effect: Cognitive Dissonance and the Urge for Consistency https://youtu.be/dzUMLoWQgKo
🎬 Momentum: How to Make it Easy for them to Say ‘Yes’ https://youtu.be/uQwP5EEbcY0
🎬 Paradox of Choice: Influencing through Selection https://youtu.be/Iuf7s_rb_hE
= = LESSON NOTES = =
Self-Interest works at Three Levels
Marketers appeal to those three levels
FAB: Features – Advantages – Benefits
The Way to Appeal to Self Interest
…is simple. Research what I want and need.
= = RECOMMENDED EXERCISE = =
Next time you need to influence them, find out what they want or need.
1. How will you do this? Make a plan (1 MC CPD Points)
2. Evaluate what they need (1 MC CPD Points)
3. Devise an influencing or persuasion strategy that appeals to the WAM factor (1 MC CPD Points)
= = RECOMMENDED READING = =
📖 My own book on Influence (introductory level)
– How to Influence in Any Situation (Brilliant Influence 2nd Ed) https://geni.us/dAS7
📖 Excellent books at a more advanced level
– Influence: Science and Practice (a classic) https://geni.us/DIX0kFL
– Influencer: The New Science of Leading Change https://geni.us/3nBJM
– The Influence Agenda (for Stakeholder Engagement) https://geni.us/InfAg
– Methods of Persuasion https://geni.us/EVYP
– Presuasion https://geni.us/aBZo0XO
– 5 Paths to Persuasion https://geni.us/Vg2vB
⭕️ Links to our book recommendations are affiliated through Amazon
Managers Need a Basic set of kit to do your job well. Here are my top recommendations: https://kit.co/MikeClayton/manager-s-work-kit (the links are affiliated)
= = MANAGEMENT COURSES CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) POINTS = =
You can record your Management Courses CPD points on our free, downloadable CPD record log.
📓 Download it at: https://gum.co/MC-CPD
Each video has two levels of MC CPD points. For this video:
– If you simply watched the video, record 1 MC CPD point
– If you also carried out all of the recommended exercises, score a total of 4 MC CPD points
00:00 – Influence: The Science and Practice by Robert Cialdini
00:24 – Self Interest
00:52 – Why discuss Self-interest?
01:26 – Bribery, inducements, and threats…
01:38 – Three levels of Self-interest
02:06 – Marketers’ FAB: Features, Advantages, and Benefits
02:36 – Self-interest and FAB
03:24 – How to appeal to self-interest
03:55 – Looking for overlapping interests
#Self-Interest #ManagementCourses #WIIFM